Issue: Unable to open Instant Message window in Lync 2013?
Error: There is no specific error message. When click on contact, contact get highlight however it is not getting open?Problem statement: Whenever user double click on contact or buddy list however instant messaging windows. Contact will get highlight however it will not open. When Lync application open, you will buddy list and presence however nothing happen after double click on any contacts.
It’s all about Lync application exe, may be hung and due to that Lync will not open new IM windows.
Resolution:Do the following in order to resolve issue.
1. Open Lync 2013 client, Right click on Lync Icon -> Select ‘Exit’ [Exit and Open option on highlight rest options are grayed out]
2. If Lync application icon shows in task bar then, open ‘Start Task Manager’.
a. Press ‘ctrl + alt + Delete’ button and on new windows, select ‘Start Task Manager’. OR
b. Right click on task bar and select ‘Start Task Manager’.
3. In task manager windows, Click on ‘Processes’ -> click on ‘Image Name’ and find “Lync.exe *32” executable file.
4. Right click on ‘lync .exe *32’ and click on ‘End Process’ button.
5. Click on ‘OK’ now Lync application completely closed.
6. Just reopen the Lync 2013 and double click on any contact you will be able to IM to anyone.
7. You right click on Lync icon and see all options get highlight now.