Issue: Unable to publish topology in Lync Server 2010.
Error: The following SQL Server error occurred: "The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'XdsPublishItems', database 'xds', schema 'dbo'",.
Whenever you try to publish the topology you will see you will see above error. This is because of lack of permission on SQL database.
If you have Lync Server permission and domain admin permission however you must have SQL database permission in order to publish the topology.
You can ask your SQL team to give you sufficient permission on SQL database (Xds). Or you can follow below steps to get same permission.
Log on to Lync Server where SQL database is hosted.
1. Open SQL Server.
2. Expand the ‘Database’ and expand the ‘Security’.
3. Expand the ‘Logins’
4. Add the user who is publishing the topology.
5. Open the properties newly added user and click on ‘User Mapping’.
6. Under ‘User Mapping’, click on ‘Cpsdyn’.
7. Select ‘Public’ under Database role membership for cpsdyn.
8. Click on OK.
Now you can public the new updated topology for changes.