How to deploy DFS namespace for Lync 2013 deployment?
It is very important to setup DFS for Lync Server 2013 deployment, here are the steps and guide line.
Resolution: Here are the steps:
Microsoft has given recommendation that the Namespace Root be something like “LYNC”. And this root should be stored on 2 domain controllers in the site where Lync will be. These roots are just “Names”, they will not contain any files.
E.g. Domain controller name dc1.mydomain.com and dc2.mydomain.com
Then that “Root” in DFS manager you create the actual Lync File Share “Namespace”. This will then be linked to the File Share on each SQL Server.
1. Open DFS Management console.
2. Right click on Namespace and say new ‘NameSpace’.
3. Open Namespace server page. Select server name. e.g.
4. Browse Server name. If DFS service is running then it will add the first node for DFS.
5. Name “LyncShare2013” and ‘Edit Settings....’
6. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DFS Management.
7. In the console tree of the DFS Management snap-in, right-click the namespace server (for example filesrv1.contoso.com), and then click Edit Settings.
8. Select Shared Folder Permissions.
9. Select Use Custom Permissions.
10. For the Administrator group, select the following under Allow:
a. Full Control
11. Click Apply, and then click OK.
1. Now time to add one more server.
2. Right click on New Namespace and select new folder.
3. Browse and select the server name ‘SQL1’ and complete wizard.