Windows could not start the Lync Server Front-End on Local Computer. For more information, review the System event log.
Issue: unable to start Front End service on Lync Server 2013.
Error Message: Windows could not start the Lync Server Front-End on Local Computer. For more information, review the System event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact service vender, and refer to service-specific error code -2147024891.
Today I have notice that one of our Lync Server 2013 front end services was stopped mode.
When I checked and tried to start the services however service was unable to start. Checked event viewer for error messages.
Follow the below steps to start services:
1. Open Services.msc and try to start Front End service and then go to ‘Event Viewer’ and see the actual error message.
2. Event Viewer will show you the error. Error will be look like certificate mismatch, fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL client credential… etc.
3. Go to MMC console and see the certificates which are installed the server.
4. If you found missing certificate then import and install the correct certificate.
5. In my case correct certificate was available.
6. Now I have to assign the correct certificate to Lync web services using Lync deployment wizard and assign the certificate. When you finish the certificate assign, if you don’t get any warning or error message then assume that your certificate got assigned properly.
Note: If you have multiple Front end server then export the correct certificate from working Front End server and install to the affected Front End server.
7. In my case after installing correct certificate but still unable to start front end service on sever.
8. Later I have restarted Lync Front End server. Front End service got started after server reboot.
9. In my case wrong certificate was assigned o Front End server due to that FE service was not starting on server.