Issue: Lync status show updating and display ‘Maximum Followers Reached’ in Lync 2013.
I came across an issue where couple of users Lync status hasn’t updating on Lync client. It says updating however Lync presence status not get updated after long time.
Affected users Lync status shows as updating and Lync contact card display message as ‘Maximum Followers Reached’.
This is basically happens because affected user are more popular and get added as contact on Lync more than 200 times. By default Lync user can be contact as 200 by other Lync users.
E.g. When one Lync user adds another Lync user as a contact, the first Lync user is subscribing to five categories of information about the second Lync user. Updates for these categories of information are automatically sent to the first Lync user. The user model assumes a default of 1000 category subscriptions per Lync user. This means that a Lync user could be a contact of as many as 200 other Lync users.
Follow the below steps in order to resolve issue.
To verify the issue you check on Event viewer on Lync Front End server and you will see ID: 32078 and it will shows as ‘A user has reached the limit for maximum category subscriptions per publisher’.
A. Without policy changes: If you don’t have permission on server then do below.
1. Delete unused contact or group from Lync buddy list.
2. Ask other user to delete affected users contact from their buddy list.
3. Wait for some time and check the status. It will show correct status.
B. Using Lync client presence policy:
1. Log on to Lync server and open Lync Server management Shell.
2. First use get command to see default policy.
Command will return the MaximumCategorySubscription number and MaxPromptedSubscriber number.
3. Now you need to change the default presence policy to show more contact. I would recommend instead of changing default global policy you can create new policy and assign the new policy to affected user.
New-CsPresencePolicy -Identity "TooPopularPolicy" -MaxPromptedSubscriber 400 -MaxCategorySubscription 2000
If you already have policy created AND want change the value then use below command let:
Set-CsPresencePolicy -Identity "TooPopularPolicy" -MaxPromptedSubscriber 600 -MaxCategorySubscription 3000
4. Now you have Presence policy created, time to assign policy to affected user. Command let:
Grant-CsPresencePolicy -Identity "Balu Ilag" -PolicyName "TooPopularPolicy"
Wait to get changes apply. You will be able see correct status and contact card message next to status Maximum Followers Reached’ will not show again.Note Updating MaxCategorySubscription to a higher value could impact network bandwidth on the Lync server network
Apply to: Lync 2010 and Lync 2013.