Best practice to upgrade Lync Server 2013 Enterprise edition.
Best practice to install cumulative update on Lync Server 2013.
You can follow below steps to upgrade Lync Server 2013.
1. Login to Lync Front End server using member of RTCUniversalServerAdmin, CsAdministrator account. Additionally you must have SQL DB sys admin permission in order to upgrade the back end (SQL) database.
2. Download LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe (e.g. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=285592) On Lync Server.
3. Run the Get-CsPoolUpgradeReadinessState cmdlet to get the state of Lync Server 2013.
State must be ready.
4. If server is not in ‘Ready’ state then wait for sometime and then check server again.
5. If server is Ready state then check ReadyforUpgrade status using same above cmdlet.
ReadyforUpgrade status is True then start upgrade process. See the screenshot.
6. Get the connection status using Get-CsWindowsService to know the active connections?
7. Run the Get-CsPoolFabricState -PoolFqdn
to know the specified server does not
holding any connection.
8. Stop new connections to the front-end servers by using the
Stop-CsWindowsService -Graceful cmdlet.
9. Run the Cumulative Server Update Installer LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe by double clicking on it or command prompt to upgrade the front-end servers that are associated with an upgrade domain.
10.Restart the server, and make sure that Server is accepting new connections after restart.
11.Move on to next server.
Note: Make sure to upgrade all Front End, Edge Servers and P-chat server.
12.After updating All FE server now time to update backend Server that is your SQL database.
13.If you have SQL mirroring then Run cmdlet: Invoke-CsDatabaseFailover -NewPrincipal Primary
Make user the primary server is principal for all databases.
14.Run: Install-CsDatabase -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn
Cmdlet to update back end database.
NOTE: No need to update CMS database if CMS is on Lync Server 2010 front end pool.
To update the CMS database, run below command let:
Install-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn
15.Rum cmdlet: Enable-CsTopology to enable the Mobility service.
16.Run the Bootstrapper.exe to Enable the Unified Communications Web API on each Lync 2013 front end server.
Path: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Deployment\Bootstrapper.exe
Cumulative updates need to apply for: Frond End server, Back end, Edge Server and Director Server.
Additional steps for Lync Server 2013 Monitoring/Archiving/Persistent Chat Databases
*If Lync Server 2013 Monitoring/Archiving/Persistent Chat databases are deployed on stand-alone SQL databases, run the following command:
Install-CsDatabase -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn