Best Practice to install cumulative updates to Lync Server 2013.
While performing Administrative duty you have to update Lync Server with published cumulative updates. Here are the best practice to update Lync or Skype server with latest cumulative updates.
I use to follow below steps hence sharing as best practice.
1. Login to Lync Front End server using member of RTCUniversalServerAdmin, CSAdministrator account. Additionally you must have SQL DB (Backend) Sys Admin permission in order to upgrade the back end (SQL) database.
2. Download latest CU updates. LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe using below URL. (This is latest CU updates May 1st 2015 for Lync Server 2013)
On Front End server. As an order you must update all front end server.
3. Run the Get-CsPoolUpgradeReadinessState cmdlet on Front End server to get the current state of Lync Server.
State must be ready.
4. If server is not in ‘Ready’ state then wait for some time and then check server again. (You must have patience and wait an hour) and check again.
5. If server is in Ready state then check ReadyforUpgrade status using same above cmdlet.
ReadyforUpgrade status is True then start upgrade process. See the screenshot.
6. Now check if server is busy or not. Using Get command this will show connection status using Get-CsWindowsService to know the active connections.
7. Stop new connections to this front-end server using the Stop-CsWindowsService -Graceful cmdlet and keep continue with inflight call or connection. Once all services stopped.
8. Open the Lync Server Update Installer LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe by double clicking on it or using command prompt to update the front-end servers that are associated with an upgrade domain. Once all required update installed.
9. Restart the server, and make sure that Server is accepting new connections after restart.
10.Run the Get-CsPoolFabricState -PoolFqdn
to verify the server is accepting new connection.
11. Verify everything and Move on to next Front End server. If any.
12.After updating All FE server now time to update backend Server that is your SQL database to apply the database changes.
13.For SQL mirroring Run cmdlet: Invoke-CsDatabaseFailover -NewPrincipal Primary
Make user the primary server is principal for all databases.
14.Run this command from any Front End Server: Install-CsDatabase -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn “<>” -Verbose
To update the CMS run below command let: (On time step)
Install-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn “<>” -SqlInstanceName
15.Run cmdlet: Enable-CsTopology to enable the Mobility service.
16.Run the Bootstrapper.exe to Enable the Unified Communications Web API.
Path: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Deployment\Bootstrapper.exe
Note: Make sure to update all Front End, Edge Servers and P-chat server with Cumulative Updates.
If you have Persistent chat server and after you updating persistent chat server you need to update backend server.
1. Install Cumulative Updates on Persistent chat server and then update Backend database.
Install-CsDatabase -DatabaseType PersistentChat -SqlServerFqdn