From Lync Room System to Skype for Business Room System.
Recently Microsoft announced that Lync Rooms Systems will be updated with the Skype for Business experience. On November 10, Microsoft roll out a Cumulative Update to all existing Crestron, Polycom and SMART Lync Room Systems, updating the user interface (UI) and branding to Skype for Business. The Cumulative Update will either be applied automatically, or manually, depending on the policy set by the IT admin. The update does not change the functionality, but users will see a sleeker, darker design theme, attuned to large-screen viewing.
Skype for Business Room System version 15.14.2
How to update Lync Room System to Skype for Business Room System?
You can roll out Cumulative Update which will update LRS to SRS using either be applied automatically, or manually.
To install an update on a device that has Internet access, follow these steps:
1. Log on in Administrator mode by using administrator credentials. To restart in Administrator mode, follow these steps:
a. In meeting mode, select Options at the pre-meeting screen.
b. To display a prompt for credentials, select Settings.
c. Enter administrator credentials at the prompt.
d. At the Windows logon screen, enter administrator credentials to display the Admin Console.
2. Click the Web Updates tab.
3. Under Microsoft updates, select Download from Microsoft Update server.
4. Under OEM updates, select Download from OEM server.
You can these option when you want to use OEM server URL.
E.g. If you are using Smart SRS-LRS then use below URL as internal server URL http://downloads.smarttech.com/software/smartroomsystem/latest. Or
5. To update automatically during the daily maintenance time, select the Automatic updates check box under .
6. Click Apply and Restart to save your changes.
Note If you change any settings, and you want to apply updates manually, follow these steps:
· On Lync Room System > Options > Settings >
· Restart the device, and then log on in Administrator mode by using administrator credentials.
· Click the Web Updates tab again.
· Select Check Updates and Install.
· Click OK to restart the device when you are prompted.
Update will take more hour and system restart multiple time.
Once system updates to Skype for Business Room System it will looks like below:
If you don’t want to use OEM, WSUS or SCCM then simply check mark ”Automatic updates” to get update automatically. Image:
What are the new updates?
· New User Interface -The image below shows the pre-meeting calendar UI on the console. The console, positioned at the center of the meeting room table, is used to control the meeting room experience. The design changes include a dark background theme, round icons and a round presence indicator, as well as the Skype for Business logo.
· New Private settings - New Private settings added a feature in this Cumulative Update that allows the room admin to turn the room calendar subject line visibility on or off. This feature is accessed on the console in Admin mode, under Options > Settings.
· Going forward Previous - Cumulative Updates added quite a number of new features, such as the ability to directly project from a PC in the room into the meeting, a redesign of the dial pad on the console, steps to add a Skype Meeting and the ability for IT admins to install anti-virus software on the Room System.
· Resolves an issue where video streams were limited to a maximum resolution of 1280x720 (720p) instead of 1920x1080 (1080p) on some systems.
· In LRS there was feature like ‘Speaker/mic mute prompt when joining LRS meeting (to avoid in-room echo)’ in Skype for Business Room System this prompt is not there however your Skype for Business client get mute when you join Skype for Business meeting.
Issues that the update fixes:
This update also fixes the issues that are described in the following previously released Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
Improvements that the update provides:
This update provides the following improvements:
· Rebrands Lync Room System user interface with Skype for Business logo, colors, and icon design styles.
· Enables the system administrator to prevent subject line information from being displayed on the meeting calendar.
Additionally, this update includes the following Windows Update software updates:
· KB 3033929 Microsoft security advisory: Availability of SHA-2 code signing support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 10, 2015
· KB 3035132 MS15-024: Vulnerability in PNG processing could allow information disclosure: March 10, 2015
· KB 3030377 MS15-028: Vulnerability in Windows Task Scheduler could allow security feature bypass: March 10, 2015
· KB 3035126 MS15-029: Vulnerability in Windows Photo Decoder component could allow information disclosure: March 10, 2015
· KB 3046269 MS15-037: Vulnerability in Windows Task Scheduler could allow elevation of privilege: April 14, 2015
· KB 3055642 MS15-050: Vulnerability in Service Control Manager could allow elevation of privilege: May 12, 2015
· KB 3033890 MS15-057: Vulnerability in Windows Media Player could allow remote code execution: June 9, 2015
· KB 3059317 MS15-060: Vulnerability in Microsoft common controls could allow remote code execution: June 9, 2015
· KB 3072630 MS15-074: Vulnerability in Windows Installer service could allow elevation of privilege: July 14, 2015
· KB 3069392 MS15-072: Vulnerability in Windows graphics component could allow elevation of privilege: July 14, 2015
· KB 3079757 MS15-088 Description of the security update for Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office: August 11, 2015
· KB 3046017 MS15-088 Description of the security update for Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office: August 11, 2015
· KB 3060716 MS15-090: Vulnerabilities in Windows could allow elevation of privilege: August 11, 2015
· KB 3071756 MS15-085: Description of the security update for Windows Mount Manager: August 11, 2015
· KB 3076895 MS15-084: Description of the security update for Windows XML core services: August 11, 2015
· KB 3084135 MS15-102: Description of the security update for Windows Task Management: September 8, 2015
· KB 3083992 Microsoft security advisory: Update to improve AppLocker certificate handling: September 8, 2015
· KB 3086255 MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015
· KB 3087039 MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015
Reference TechNet Article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3108096