Ask right question to Skype for Business (Lync) User for issue.
Before starting troubleshooting you ask right question end user who complain about Skype for Business (Lync) issue. Information gathering is very important step in troubleshooting. Here are most common and standard questionnaires to gather correct information from affected user.
Following question gives you real picture:
1. Is the issue affecting all users, group of users or single user?
This gives you information to isolate impact and you can start troubleshooting accordingly. Like if issue is affecting all user mean issue from Server/backend side. If issue impacting group of people means specific site/ floor affected may have network problem or something else.
2. If multiple users – was there a conference or meeting or something that ties these users together? Can you reproduce the issue?
3. If one user, does the user have the issue once, sometimes or all the time?
4. If sometimes or all the time – does the user have the issue when connected to a different network? (home, office, coffee shop, Hotel, VPN, Wireless etc.)
If answer is all time then may be user are correctly provision. Skype for Business (Lync) Administrator can help in this case.
5. If the user has the issue in multiple locations – does the user have the issue with multiple devices/clients? (iphone, ipad, android, mac, Laptop)
You can isolate issue accordingly the answer. If all devices / locations shows same issue then something wrong from server side. Administrator can check account, assigned policies etc.
6. If unable to login issue then, Ask User Name, SIP/email address, Operating System and client version and if applicable, Skype for Business (Lync) Phone number.
Below questions gather modality issue details:
7. If call issue then ask, Is Inbound (Incoming) or Outbound (outgoing) calling issue? Provide called number and time (date).
8. PSTN (dialed external number) call? Dial-in Conference call? Skype for Business (Lync) Conference? , Lync external number to Lync number Call?
9. Phone Number of the party calling/being called/exact time (if possible then).
10. What was the symptom? Poor audio quality/ call disconnected/unable to connect/ unable to join meetings?
11. Any error messages in the client? Please send screen shots or type the error exactly.
12. Gather the logs from the client. Turn on logging and attempt to replicate the problem.
Refer below article to enable login on Skype for Business (Lync) client/ app.