How to change Edge server pool association with a Front End Server pool when Edge pool goes down?
The best way for you to provide high availability for your Edge Servers is to deploy multiple Edge servers in pools in each site. If one Edge Server goes down, the other servers in the pool will continue to provide Edge services. However when you entire Edge server pool goes down then how you can provide high availability?
Scenario where Edge pool goes down however Font End pool at the same site is still up and running then you will need to set the Front End pool to use an Edge pool at a different site until the failed Edge pool is restored.
Example: You have two sites EMEA and APJ both site pool set as backup pool. EMEA site has Front End Pool as “EmeaFEPool” and Edge Pool as “EmeaEdgePool”. APJ site has “APJFEpool” and edge pool as “APJEdgepool”.
When EmeaEdgePool goes down but EmeaFEpool is up and running. To allow external/ remote users, federation to sign-in and all other functionality, you must change EmeaFEPool to use Edge pool as APJEdgePool instead of EmeaEdgePool.
How to change edge pool association?
Answer is, using Topology builder you can archives this: Below are the detail steps:
1. Open and download Topology Builder, navigate to the name of the Front End pool you need to change. E.g. EmeaFEPool.
2. Right-click the pool, and then click Edit Properties. E.g. EmeaFEPool.
3. In the Associations section, under Associate Edge Pool (for media components), use the drop down box to select the Edge pool you want to associate this Front End pool with. E.g. select edge pool “APJEdgePool”.
4. Click OK.
5. Make sure to publish Topology and wait to propagate the change.
You will see successful Event logs under Lync: 32027, 41025, 41012 and 41019.
6. Once you’re primary Edge pool restore then change the Edge pool association back to primary pool.
1. Deploy more than one Edge server in an Edge pool to achieve high availability.
2. If have more than one sites than deploy edge pool for sites, when one edge pool goes down still you can edge pool of different site.
3. For failover to work smoothly, ensure that the firewall allows the Front End servers from every pool to communicate with all Edge servers.Thank you.